Who We Are
The members of Adoptive Families of Houston (AFH) believe that adoptive families can benefit from the education, guidance, and support of professionals and parents who have shared in the unique experience of adoption.
With the needs of adoptive parents and children in mind, Adoptive Families of Houston offers a variety of activities each year including educational programs, monthly playgroups for the children and an annual family picnic.
Adoptive Families of Houston is not affiliated with any agency, church, or organization. Anyone is welcome to join and membership start at $30/year for a family.
- To educate parents on topics unique to adoptive families
- To provide a supportive environment where adoptive parents and adoptees can feel comfortable discussing issues related to adoption
- To provide opportunities for all members of the adoptive family to socialize with others who have been touched by adoption
- To provide adopted children with a sense of belonging through friendships with other adoptees
Check our calendar for upcoming events.
Educational Events: We host 5 educational events throughout the year. The 5 events are conveniently scheduled at 7PM on Fridays. On site childcare is provided along with a light dinner for both the kids and adults.
This past year, our educational events included:
- Birthmom Panel (September 2018)
- "Creating Traditions and Rituals to Glue the Family Together" program by Parenting Coach Patina Sehorn (November 2018)
- Talking to Your Kids About Adoption (January 2019)
- Screenagers Documentary viewing and discussion on technology use by children (March 2019)
- Adopted: For the Life of Me documentary viewing and discussion on adoption laws (May 2019)
Social/Playgroup Events: We host multiple social events throughout the year. Some are designed for a specific age group and others are for the whole family.
This past year, our social and playgroup get togethers included:
- Yearly Meet and Greet (September 2018)
- Annual Adoption Celebration Picnic (October 2018)
- Holiday Party and Gingerbread House Decorating (December 2018)
- Older Child Program for Ages 5+ discussing adoption, how to answer adoption questions, and feelings about birth parents (Spring 2019, multiple dates)
- Fire Station Tour (March 2019)
- Spring Party called our EGGstravaganza (April 2019)
- Baby and Toddler Playdates (multiple times)
Membership Levels and benefits:
Do you want to be part of a community of families who have similar life experiences, adoption questions, concerns and need for knowledge? Join us today.
Who Can Join? Anyone whose life has been touched by adoption:
- Adoptive Parents
- Extended Families
Questions? Contact our membership team at email@example.com