While most adoptive parents receive adequate pre-adoption training and materials, finding post-adoption education and support is difficult. Because it is critical to our children’s well-being that we are knowledgeable about sensitive, adoption-related issues, education is a core focus of our organization. This teaching/preparation/learning will help ensure we are better equipped to respond to our children, extended family, friends and strangers about delicate and personal issues.
Post-adoption instruction also ensures we have the latest, relevant data to be supportive and make the best decisions about how to talk to our children about adoption.
Check the calendar for upcoming education programs.
Adoptive Families of Houston has discussed a wide variety of topics during its previous educational programs, including:
- Adoption Myths and Realities
- Adoption and School
- Adoption and Sibling Relationships
- Adoption and Social Media
- Attachment from Infancy to Adulthood
- How to Talk to Your Child About Adoption
- Meeting the Emotional Needs of an Adopted Child
- Nature vs. Nurture
- Navigating Semi-Open and Open Adoptions
- Positive Adoption Language
- Life of a Birth Mother
- Life of a Birth Father
- What Adoption Means to Teen Adoptees
- Real Life Stories from Adoptive Parents